Wednesday, February 29, 2012

To My First-born Son

Ten years ago on February 28, you were born. I will never be the same. I became a mother that day. You taught me things about love, protectiveness, endurance that I never knew before. You completely changed my life.

I remember seeing you lie there in your isolette in NICU. You had those nasty oxygen tubes taped to your soft cheeks. I begged God to heal your lungs so you could breathe on your own.  Every 2 1/2 hours, I made my way through that enormous hospital, night and day, to be by your side and feed you. Finally, after 6 days on oxygen and 4 more days of the Dr. just observing you, we got to take our precious baby boy home!

Those first days were very special. After being in the hospital, I don't think I ever complained about getting up at night with you or settling you when you were fussy. We were just so glad to be at home.

You became a very shy, very cautious toddler. You loved your Grandpa fiercly and would cry out "Papa, Papa, Papa" when you saw him in church. You were scared of dirt and quit wearing a bib at 12 months of age. You stayed out of mud puddles and cried when your sock didn't go just right or when your shoe strings weren't the same length after being tied. You were terrified of the carousel at the mall.

Little did we know you would turn into this 'man-child' 10 years later, who loves dirt, and all things boy, and needs to be reminded to be neat.

You are such a good big brother to your siblings. When you feel needed, you just get it done. When I went to Texas, you pretty much took over the whole kitchen. You are really developing some strong leadership qualities.

We love you so much, Son, and are so grateful to God for putting you in our family- first!










3 comments:

  1. Firstborn sons are such a blessing, aren't they.

    Logan reminds me of Leon, at that age. :)

    Love the picture of Logan and Annika with the piglet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, buddy! Love you!!!
    ~Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat post! Amazing how quickly those years fly by....
    -Rosalyn

    ReplyDelete