Monday, February 13, 2012

Sister Love

When I was born, they were 14 and 18. I am sure they thought of me {us} as an unhandy amount of work sometimes. Twins aren't a piece of cake really, unless you happen to be fortunate enough to have 2 {almost} grown daughters. Needless to say, my Mom highly recommends twins. Karen kept us clean, clothed, fed, and well trained. Mary kept up the yard, garden, and lots of other things.

Mary got married and moved out a week after our 4th birthday. I really don't remember her living at home. Karen was in and out, with home being her landing place, for a number of years. She finally got married at the ripe old age of 29. ;) I have a lot of good memories of sharing a room with her, talking all grown up with her, and probably making a royal pain out of myself sometimes.

But I was never very close to my sisters.

Somehow, since I'm married, that relationship has changed. My sisters are some of my greatest mentors and friends. They know where I came from, and hopefully can at least dream of where I'm headed.;) They encourage me by their walk with God. And even though they are both over 50 now, they aren't passive about their relationship with God, but are continually seeking Him, and growing in their walk with God. They challenge me in some way every time we're together.

So imagine the fun we had, surprising Karen for her 50th birthday!





I am blessed!

4 comments:

  1. Fun post! Such good times were made!:) I can't help but laugh at the bottom pic where your eyes are closed!;) Love you! Rhoda

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the same way for me, and my sisters. It wasn't until I was older that we started to have a closer relationship. Enjoyed the photos. Mary and Karen look exactly as I remember them from my childhood- only a little older now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the best parts of growing up was learning to know my big brothers and sisters in an adult way. But I'm confused about who the person in the sepia photo with you is. Niece? I know. Nosy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is my niece, Victoria. The minute we get together, Karen immediately starts calling her daughter "Wanda" and I go by "Victoria". She does it by accident, but it is so funny and common that Tori and I just answer to our other name w/o correcting her.

    ReplyDelete