Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Squeezing the Last Sweet Drops Out of Summer

What a good, busy summer we had. And now it's officially fall...I mean, the calendar says so. Who can argue with that? Tonight the children helped me pick 5 bushels of apples from our neighbors trees, for free. Tomorrow they go to an Amish farm and get turned into cider. Yummy!

Harvest 2013 has officially started. I take a deep breath and hang on for the ride. I will not complain about long days with no husband around. I will not complain about packing lunches. I will not complain about him always being tired and overworked. I will not complain....:) I will be thankful he is healthy and can work. I will be thankful my children can spend hours with their Dad on the combine, tractor or grain truck. I will be thankful that he comes home every night to me. I will be thankful.....

Today as we raced around the house during break time, and my 10 year old son was trying to catch me, I thought, surely I can still run faster than him. But alas! It was not to be. So now I am resigned to the fact that I have the athletic abilities of a 10 year old, which isn't too bad if it's MY 10 year old. But still....where did that 'fastest running girl in the youth group' go? (funny side note: we had relay races in the youth group once, and I was the fastest girl and Leon was the fastest boy. He likes to say that I had to marry him because he was the only one I couldn't outrun.)

My favorite pictures from the summer:





                                                      games with Great Grandma


Jamison's prize watermelon



                                                       Canning....snapping beans....



Slip and slide on hot days


                                                                 
                                                                    applesauce day





Cousin Fun





                                                       
                                                             Corn on the cob for lunch




                                                       (notice the kitties in the lunch bag)

It was a good summer. Yes, it was.



1 comment:

  1. Sweet pictures. I especially like the one of you and your mom working together. Harvest is in full swing here in Ohio too, and I love watching the fields empty day by day.

    ReplyDelete