Thursday, April 4, 2013

Easter At Our House {keepin' it real}

Easter is such a special holiday. I really think it ranks up there at the VERY top for Christians! It also has a lot of warm fuzzy feelings that come w/ it, coloring eggs, family dinners, new clothes, spring and more.

Let me tell you about our Easter this year.

We just came home from a 9 day vacation/family wedding in the South. We were still tired. I was in an Easter choir at church so I had our final practice to attend on Saturday night. It was late-ish before I went to bed. My farmer husband had A LOT of chores on Sunday morning. He got up at the crack of dawn thirty and was still working hard when the boys and I left for sunrise services at church at 6:30 AM.

The service was very special. I felt like a dry crust of bread from all our travels the previous week. I was around people a lot and hadn't really soaked up a whole lot of Jesus for what seemed like a long time. Now I get to sing in an Easter choir about what Jesus did for me. I prayed that morning that I wouldn't just go through the motions, but that the message would be real in my heart. God answered that in a big way. It was just so incredibly meaningful. While we were singing I could see a gentleman in the audience. He was lined up w/ our director so that when I looked at her, I couldn't help but see him. He was having a Jesus moment, big time! Because of our songs, because of the message. His tears ministered to me in an amazing way, if that makes sense.

After the sunrise service, we gathered for an amazing brunch. I couldn't help but think back to a year ago, when we were so new in this church, and how much has changed. I looked around and saw friends, lots and lots of friends. I was almost overwhelmed at what God has given our family.

My farmer husband showed up with the two little girls, who were supposed to be dressed alike in their flower girl dresses, from their uncle's wedding last summer. Alas, the dress no longer fit the oldest daughter and Daddy dear had quite a time at home consoling her and finding something else for her to wear. I helped get food for the girls and then I was off w/ the choir to sing at our local nursing home. We dashed back to church and finished our program in the second service. When we sang "Lion of Judah" holy goosebumps came out on my arms and I couldn't help but feel excitement about that awesome day when we get to see Jesus!

After church, we headed to an extended family gathering for a potluck lunch. The children changed into play clothes and so no Easter family photos were taken this year. It's probably best, because while yellow was the theme color going on, the oldest daughter's pink floral looked a little out of place. I was so tired that I had a hard time being sociable.

We came home, where I enjoyed a wonderful nap. Then I set up a treasure hunt for the children and had some restful time reading and relaxing. The children and I watched Easter songs on you tube which was pretty special, too. We ate leftovers for supper. I tried to pick up the trashed house before retiring for the night. We all went to bed early.

So as I reflect on Easter this year, it wasn't the warm fuzzies I get sometimes. We didn't color eggs, eat chocolate;) or take family pictures. But Easter was very special in other ways; ways that count.

Here's a family picture from the recent wedding:
 And a few more just for fun:





1 comment:

  1. love it! Looks like the wedding was beautiful! Lovelines...
    xoxo,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete