Thursday, August 9, 2012

Do Hard Things (Just Do It)

No, this is not an overview of the teen book "Do Hard Things" by the Harris brothers. (although that is a great read.) Neither is it a Nike commercial to Just Do It.

I love to work. This morning I even confessed to God that sometimes I love to work, to be productive, even more than I love to mother. I love to look back on the end of the day and see what I accomplished and feel satisfied. But my new goal is to look back on the end of the day and know I started well, (with God), the middle was fun, (I took time for my kids) and we ended well. (By having a calm, relaxing end to our day.) Granted, it doesn't always go like that, no matter how hard I try. But I really want to keep my priorities in the correct order.

I can also be lazy. Sometimes I lack motivation. Or maybe I have a very crazy productive day, and then the next day I'm recuperating and get nothing done. I guess there's a lack of self discipline going on there. Alright, I know my issues.;)

There are several jobs that I detest! This week, the week before the week before :) school starts here at our house was the week of Doing Hard Things or Doing The Things I've Been Pushing Off.  I patched/mended some things, ironed the shirts, painted the school room, (which ended up being fun because I had a new friend over to help me, and good conversation makes any job more fun!), and today was a real doozy- I cleaned out the jars that had spoiled food in them from my basement...oooh! Yuck!, and majorly cleaned out and organized the mudroom and laundry room closet. I pounded in more nails, hung stuff that had never been hung before, and totally loved the finished product. I'm trying to figure out why I push off those nasty jobs for so long?! When I made up my mind that I will attack those jobs, it really wasn't so bad.

So here's the rest of my to-do list for this week-
  1. plant fall stuff in my garden
  2. can strawberry tapioca
  3. put tomatoes in the freezer for marinara sauce
  4. clean the van
  5. mow the yard
  6. help my husband butcher several pigs
  7. fill out the home school forms and send in to local school district
Next week is our last week of vacation and we have fun things planned.

What is one job that you hate doing?



2 comments:

  1. Oh Wanda,
    I could learn so much from you. I can't say that I love to work. I think I need therapy so that changes.;)

    Just today I was thinking that I MUST do a thorough housecleaning. I have let things go for way, way too long. I think maybe I will have to take an online fast and focus on organization & God. I need both!!

    I detest cleaning the cold room, just like you. I don't enjoy canning either. Or sorting through toys and anything that involves decisions about what to do with STUFF. I like to clean. You know, soap and water and the vacuum cleaner. But the clutter that has no home is what gets me down.

    ok, I'm going on and on here. I need to Just Do It. I agree that when you do the Hard Stuff you wonder why you dreaded it for so long.

    Happy weeks before vacation to you and yours.
    <3, Luci

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm the same - LOVE to work. and hard.
    last wk i painted our porch and worked outside all day..
    sweating and tired and just a mess. but felt SO GOOD at the end of it all!
    i have to constantly be checking myself for not putting projects ahead of people {husband. kiddos}
    i'm so bad about that. :/

    my least fav job would be laundry.
    i don't know why.
    i like jobs that feel DONE. laundry is just never ending. ha!! ;)

    ReplyDelete