Saturday, November 1, 2014

What's Cooking?

Why soup, of course!

You could call us the "Soup Family", because we love soup so much. Of course, some in this house love certain soups more than others, and we are still working daily on getting that picky eating thing taken care of.

Yesterday I created my own recipe and it was a hit. I didn't google it to see if it truly is original with me, but I'm pretty sure NO ONE else has ever had this brain child, so here goes.

Ham and Veggie Chowder

4 cups of chicken broth and water
(I used 2 cups broth, 2 cups water, and a bit of chicken noodle seasoning)
1 pkg. California blend (you know, the carrots, cauliflower, broccoli stuff?)
1/2 cup onions, chopped

Cook in broth until veggies are soft. Then I took my stick blender and just ran it around in the kettle for a bit until the veggies were just teeny tiny little colorful floaties.

Add:
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 cup milk and 1/2 cup flour, mixed together in a gravy shaker
4 cups milk
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups finely chopped ham
1 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream

Heat on low until heated through and thick.

Serve with your family's favorite sour dill pickles and fresh homemade bread and call it a meal, folks!

Anddddd....I just might be back with more of our favorite soup recipes.

5 comments:

  1. If your family loves soup,you have to try Pioneer Woman's Cauliflower Soup! AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love soup and this recipe looks great! Thank you. I miss reading your blog, Wanda. I'm not sure when and how I fell off the blog reading wagon. Someday I'll go back and catch up again. -Luci

    ReplyDelete
  3. So my question is...how do you keep the cheese from getting stringy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Cheddar and haven't had any trouble if I heat on low heat and stir often.

      Delete
  4. sounds so yummy..will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete