Friday, October 11, 2013

Friday's Musings and Recipes

The children are watching "Little Women" and I have 2 blissful quiet hours before me. I could take a nap, or go for a walk, or clear the garden, (Nah, let the boys help w/ that) or sit outside, at least. But first, I must blog. I need to write.

I've been trying to quickly sew a few doll clothes for the girls. My serger totally didn't cooperate. After spending an hour last night and close to that this morning, and lots of prayers and frustrated feelings, I gave up. I sewed a few items w/o the serger and were my girls ever thrilled. But me- well, I'm still frustrated over that machine. Boy, do I love it when it goes well. And hate it when it doesn't.

Leon is harvesting full blast this week. We are trying to have a flexible schedule around here because of it. Today it was get up, do school, eat a big breakfast at 9:45, clean, do laundry, lunch at 1:45 and then free time for the kids and their mom. Hmm. I kinda think I could get used to it. We could've skipped lunch, but oh, no, not here. Here, where everyone is always hungry, and not always hungry for Mom's healthy concoctions either. Sigh. My spinach, peppers, onions, tomato, grilled chicken salad w/ herb dressing was just for me. My children even call my salad dressing 'soggy silage'.:) Favorite foods around here are meat and potatoes, biscuits and gravy, eggs, made almost any way, cooked broccoli, cheesy green beans, raw peppers, cucumbers, homemade pizza, and soup.

Annika made supper the other night. Her first time. She was one thrilled little lady! She has been begging and begging to do this. Seven year olds do have their limitations, regardless of what she thinks. Supper was very tasty and she did a good job.


I made something last night for supper that I used to make in our early years of marriage. I thought I'd post the recipe here.

Strogonaff Sandwich
1/2 loaf French bread, cut in 1/2 lengthwise
1 lb. hamburger, fried with salt, garlic and onions
Mix meat with:
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 C. sour cream
2 T. milk
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
Spread mixture over bread.
Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
Optional: layer thinly sliced peppers, onions and tomatoes on meat. Top with cheese. bake.
Slice and serve with a fresh salad.

If you want to make your own French bread, I have a very simple recipe.
It makes 2 loaves and freezes well.


French Bread
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 T. yeast
2 T. oil
2 tsp. salt
7 1/2-8 cups flour
Mix. Let set 15 minutes. Divide dough into 2. Roll each part into a log. Place on cookie sheet. It should be the length of the cookie sheet. Flatten to desired width. Brush with 1 beaten egg and 2 T. milk. Let rise  15 minutes. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

If you want an amazing spread for your French bread, here is my favorite recipe from Taste of Home.

Go-go Garlic Bread
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup mayo
1 T. Parmesan cheese
2 tsp. garlic salt or use fresh, minced garlic
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/8 tsp. seasoning salt
1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese
Mix and spread THICK on bread. bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Oh my. You won't be sorry you made it. Just try not to eat it all yourself.




I've been thinking lots about the calling God has on each of our lives. So often fear of failure keeps us from living out that calling. We stuff it, or ignore it, but it never goes away. We make excuses and decide that we aren't equipped for the job. But God wants obedience, pure and simple! When we avail ourselves to that calling, regardless of how we feel, God can do mighty things through our lives. There is nothing like the high I get after I've ministered in the area God has called me to minister in! Not because I did everything right. but because I'm where I'm supposed to be. It's not about me. It's not even about my abilities. It's about Jesus Christ in me. I am not worthy on my own.

North America is not a pretty place spiritually right now. For whatever reason, God has us here at this time and this place. But not to go about our own business and ignore the needs around us. That has NEVER been His plan. If we as Christians have nothing to offer the lost and dying world around us, then what are we doing in saying we love Jesus? It's time to be bold. It's time to real. It's time to be obedient!





4 comments:

  1. I've gotten so behind on reading your blog, Wanda! :( Not sure what happened. It's good to hear from you and I love the recipe ideas. Harvest is going on here too. Your daughter is too cute. I haven't even thought of getting my 7 year old to make a meal, but she does love to bake ALL.By. Herself. (which isn't really, as you well know.) You are a such a good mom and encourager. ~Luci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luci, it's harder to keep up w/ people since we're not all on Xanga, right? All by herself doesn't really mean all by herself when they're seven. Some day they'll discover the truth, but not just yet.:) Thanks for yor kind words.

      Delete
  2. My girls are wanting to cook all at once too. I decided the sooner I teach them, the sooner I get a night off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a pretty cute little chef there! and the last 2 paragraphs.. AMEN!!!

    ReplyDelete